Week 6, Pixel Data
- Understand essential differences between raster and vector graphics.
- Consider relationship between form and meaning.
- Explore advantages of exporting vector data from a procedural generator.
- Introduce Paper.js
- Introduce PaperScript
- Understand retained mode and immediate Mode graphics
|4:00||10 m||Engage||Attendance||Addendance and Online Etiquette|
|4:10||20 m||Engage||Discussion||COVID-19 + Online Learning open discussion|
|4:30||30 m||Activate||Group Discussion||Sketch Review Activity|
|5:00||30 m||Activate||Class Discussion||Sketch Review Activity Present|
|5:30||10 m||Study||Lecture||Vector vs Raster, Purpose vs Result|
|5:40||10 m||Study||Lecture||Immediate vs Retained, Felt vs Markers|
|6:00||30 m||Study||Live Code||Live Code Challenges|
|6:30||10 m||Orientation||Lecture||Assignment Introduction|
I’m running attendance via a good-old-fashioned roll call. This will double as a tech-check to make sure everyone’s mic and such are working.
If at all possible, keep your video camera on. Silly backrounds are encouraged. Keep it PG.
Most classes are asking participants to mute their mics when not in use.
I’m asking you to keep you mics on unless there is backgound noise. I want people to be able to jump in with minimal friction. We’ll change this if it doesn’t work.
Use the chat! Queue up some questions. This is one thing that works better online.
Using the sketches created by your classmates, compare the topics covered in class so far.
Today’s review is going to be different again today:
- Get into groups.
- Review this week’s sketches, and the sketches from previous weeks.
- Consider your group’s prompt in terms of the overall work.
- Develop three specific “insights” related to your prompt to share with the class.
- Carefully phrase each insight in exactly 7 words.
- Add your insights here: Class Notion
- Choose a sketch from any week to illustrate one of your insights. Add the sketch author and date on the notion.
For example if your prompt was: “Inside vs Outside”:
- “Inside: darker in day, brighter at night.”
- “Big things seem smaller when put outside.”
- “People outside are going to other places.”
|1||Simon, Adam, Fifi
Turtles vs Pixels
|2||Lionel, Robin, Dit
Noise vs Random
|3||Yang, Saloni, Jon, Munro
Image vs Sound
|4||OJ, Isabel, Ran
Form vs Conent
|5||Elena, Karen, Ashley
Procedural vs Manual
|6||Amanda, Ping-Ni, Yoon, Mickell
Sketches vs Projects