Week 2, Random
Students will be able to:
- Discuss the role of chance in art-making
- Demonstrate how chances combine
- Use the
- Map and bias random values
- Compare dice and decks as sources of random values
- Select and implement appropriate strategies for randomization
- Identify types random biases
- Summarize what pseudorandom values are
- Demonstrate a simple pseudorandom value generator
|3:50||10 m||Engage||Activity||Homework Tagging|
|4:00||30 m||Review||Critique||Sketch Review Questions|
|4:30||10 m||Study||Lecture||Intro + Slides|
|4:40||20 m||Engage||Activity||2d6 vs 1d12 Dice Chart|
|5:00||20 m||Study||Lecture||The Methodical Application of Chance|
|5:20||15 m||Activate||Discussion||Skyline Tactic Match|
|5:45||10 m||Study||Lecture||Pseudorandom vs Random|
|5:55||10 m||Activate||Activity||Pencil + Paper LCG|
|6:05||10 m||Activate||Lecture||Study Example|
|6:10||20 m||Activate||Coding||In-class Challenges|
individually, 5 minutes
Scroll through this weeks homework and tag posts as you like.
groups, 5 minutes
In your assigned team, choose 1 or 2 sketches from the past week and use them to illustrate your answer to your team’s question.
class, 6x3 minutes
Share your chosen sketch, comment on it and summarize your discussion.
|1||Isabel, Neena, Robin
How does working within constraints support creativity?
|2||Mickell, Munro, Adam
Considering the tile set as a tool, how do tools impact authorship?
|3||Sungmin, Yang, Zein
Choose a sketch you feel should be tagged 🤓. Explain why.
|4||Fifi, Amanda, Ping
Choose a sketch you feel should be tagged 😂. Explain why.
|5||Yoon, Karen, Elena, OJ
Choose a “outlier” project that explores an aspect of tile-sets not well covered by other projects. What is different about your chosen project?
|6||John, Simon, Dit, Ran
Choose a sketch you feel should be tagged 😍. Explain why.
- Did you cite your classmates tiles?
- I didn’t merge Random and Noise.
- You can now tag sketches with 🤓😂😍.
- You can format your sketch comments with markdown.
- After class coding poll.